Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fluid - Oasis

Fluid. What is the first thing you think of when you hear that word? Well, if you participate in Illustration Friday, it means a quickly approaching deadline and hours spent in deep contemplation over what exactly the word "fluid" (in all of its potentially disturbing glory) means to you. And if you should happen to meet that looming deadline, it also probably brings to mind visions of pageview spikes and comments galore. You know, because we of the artistic persuasion don't like our art getting a little attention. ;)

My first interpretation of the word "fluid" was actually for fluid movement. But because I'm not nearly creative enough to come up with an image for that, I defaulted to my second interpretation: water. (I know, I'm super original) I did a quick sketch in my sketchbook of the first image that came to mind when I thought "water", scanned it in, and went to town. Here is the finished product:

It has problems, I'll admit, but because it is the first thing I've actually been able to have fun working on in a while I still like it. In fact, since I did it on Thursday, I had to rush through a lot of it, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out all considering.

In the event that any of you are art fans and were curious to know, it was done in Photoshop CS5. The initial sketch took about 15 to 30 minutes, while the actual digital part of it took (I'm guessing) about 5 1/2 to 6 hours.

I would also like to mention that the camel is dedicated to my mother. I think the two of them would get along quite well. :D

2 comments :